Subscribe to our channel to see all our latest content! Turn on notifications to know every time we upload!
Follow our instagram!! https://www.instagram.com/mountaincreekcoc/?hl=en
Like us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/MountainCreekChurch/
Check out our website!! www.mtncreekcoc.com
Heroes save the day
Honoring graduates today
What will you do? How do you become a hero?
I. What Is Really Going On?
A. Lk 10:25–29 And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” 27 And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And He said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.”
B. Mt 22:15 Then the Pharisees went and plotted together how they might trap Him in what He said. (lawful to pay poll-tax)
1. Mt 22:23 On that day some Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Jesus and questioned Him, (wife married to 7)
2. Mt 22:34–40 But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
C. 29 But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
1. His real question
2. Jews believed only people like themselves were their neighbor
II. Priest and Levite
A. Lk 10:31–32 “And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32“Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
B. Important things to do
1. Too busy
C. Importance of other people
1. Every endeavor is about other people
2. Computer programmer, Railroad engineer, car mechanic, librarian
a. All labor gains meaning from effect on other people
3. Ga 5:14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
III. The Samaritan – Jesus’ Hero
A. Hated by Jews and vice versa
1. Wouldn’t eat together, visit in houses, even touch hands
2. Weird mixture of Jew and pagan
B. Often used by Jesus to teach equality of all
1. Lk 17 10 lepers healed – one turned to give thanks was a Samaritan
2. Jn 4 – woman at well
3. Ac 8 – first non-Jews who believed
C. Why did the Samaritan help?
1. 33 “But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion,
D. Jew wouldn’t touch Samaritan – bandaged wounds
1. 34 and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
2. Samaritan walked letting Jew ride
E. Spent his own money
1. 35 “On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.’
2. Spent the night – came back to pay more
IV. Whole World Uses Term “Samaritan”
A. And it’s never bad
1. Why? Because of this story
2. Western world believes everyone has obligation to care for needy – Why?
a. Because of Jesus’ teaching
V. The Big Question
A. Jesus doesn’t answer the question but makes the man answer it himself
B. 36 “Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?”
1. 37 And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.”
C. When you say with your own mouth, you’re committing to its truth
1. This one question continues to change the world
2. Proving Jesus is the Lord of the Universe
3. And you can be a hero too