2 Thessalonians 2:10-15
Series on Restoration Movement
Should We Restore New Testament Christianity
Plan of Salvation
I. Are We Supposed to Cling to Old Ways?
A. Is the church supposed to evolve?
B. Holy Spirit would guide apostles into all truth
1. Jn 16:12-14 I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.
2. Luke 10:16 The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who rejects you rejects Me; and he who rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.
C. Truth handed down once for all
1. Jude 3-4 I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. 4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
D. Traditions are given by God to last permanently
1. 1 Co 11:2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.
2. 2 Th 2:15 stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
II. Is Scriptural Silence Controlling?
A. Christian Research Institute, equip.org, article on Restoration Movement: “The key to Restorationism is the teaching that only by abandoning every theological system and religious practice not found explicitly in the Bible can true Christianity be realized and Christian unity be achieved. As innocent and even “biblical” as this approach to Christian unity may sound, in our estimation it is seriously flawed in its understanding of Scripture. The Bible itself never suggests that Christians reject whatever is not found within its pages. Rather, it forbids adding anything to Scripture that would contradict Scripture (Matt. 15:6) or that would imply that Scripture was not itself an adequate guide to salvation and the Christian life (2 Tim. 3:16-17).….in the area of religious practices, whatever the Bible does not forbid (explicitly or implicitly) is not to be condemned or marked as less than Christian.”
B. Lev 10:1-2 Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the LORD, which He had not commanded them. 2 And fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.
C. New Testament arguments from silence
1. He 1:5 to which of the angels did He ever say
a. 13 to which of the angels has He ever said
2. Heb 7:12–14 change of law also
a. 14 Judah, a tribe with reference to which Moses spoke nothing concerning priests.
D. New Testament instructions about silence
1. 1 Cor 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.
2. Rv 22:18-19 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.
III. Where Do We Draw the Lines of Division?
A. Eph 4:3–6 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
B. We don’t say everyone who professes faith is saved
1. Mt 7:21–22 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’
C. Don’t associate w/ people who go beyond word
1. 2 Jn 9–11 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.
2. 2 Th 3:6