Kim Jong Un – threatening nuclear war – seems right to him
Donald Trump calls people names – seems right to him
Anthony Kennedy says constitution requires gay marriage
Jdg 17:6 and 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel; every man did what was right in his own eyes.
About Leadership – No King
1 Sa 8:7 they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them.
Respect for authority and government
Need for Unity
Everybody going different direction
Every judge leads part of people
Helped by some of tribes
Some of congregation helps/attends/serves
I. Make Up Rules of Morality
A. Micah had stolen mother’s idols
1. Tribe of Dan comes and steals his idols, priest
2. Jdg 18:19–20 tribe of Dan steals idols and priest
3. 18:25 threaten to kill him when he complains
a. Set them up as their own
b. 18:30 continued until captivity of land
4. Ch. 19 Levite’s concubine assaulted and killed
a. Worse and worse
B. The Humanist Manifesto II states, “We affirm that moral values derive their source from human experience. Ethics is autonomous and situational, needing not theological or ideological sanction. Ethics stems from human need and interest.”
C. I don’t see why God would care who I love
1. Why I can’t end a marriage if I want
2. Why wait for marriage if we love each other
II. Make Up Religion for Yourself
A. V. 3 dedicate silver … to Yahweh
1. Graven image – carved, sculpture
2. Motlen image – melted and poured into mold
3. Shrine, ephod, household idols
4. Consecrated his son as priest
B. Col 2:20–23 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21“Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22(which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? 23These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.
C. I just don’t see why God would care how I praise him
1. Why God would care what day we worship
III. The Sight of the Lord
A. Saul of Tarsus thought he was doing right
B. 1 Ki 15:4–5 But for David’s sake the Lord his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem, to raise up his son after him and to establish Jerusalem; 5because David did what was right in the sight of the Lord, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.
C. 1 Ki 15:11 Asa did what was right in the sight of the Lord, like David his father.
1. Same said of Amaziah, Azariah, Jehoash, Uzziah, Jotham, Hezekiah, Josiah,
IV. How Do You See It?
1. Je 17:9 “The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?
2. Pr 14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
3. Pr 16:2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the Lord weighs the motives.
4. Pr 30:12 There is a kind who is pure in his own eyes, Yet is not washed from his filthiness.
B. Knowledge doesn’t come from within
1. Je 10:23 I know, O Lord, that a man’s way is not in himself, Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.
2. Ps 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
3. Jn 12:46 “I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.
V. All Righteousness Comes From God
A. Ro 10:3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.
B. Lk 18:9–14 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13“But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”