God’s BluePrint for Church Organization
Restoring New Testament Christianity
Bible made available in native language
Contains everything we need – no evolution needed
I. Elders/Oversee Shepherd the Church
A. Teachers and pastors are sometimes the same
1. Eph 4:11-12 And [kai] He gave some as apostles, and [kai] some as prophets, and [kai] some as evangelists, and [kai] some as pastors [poimenas] and [de] teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
2. 1 Cor 12:28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues .
3. First, second, third, then – line of authority
B. Holy Spirit made overseers/shepherds
1. Ac 20:17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. (presb)
2. Ac 20:28–30 “Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29“I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30and from among your own selves men will arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. (episkopos)
C. 1 Ti 5:17–19 The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.” 19Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. (presbuteroi)
II. Elders in Every Church
A. Planted churches
1. Ac 14:23 When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed. (presbuteroi)
B. Detailed instructions for appointment
1. 1 Tim 3:1-6, Tit 1:5-9
C. Even Jerusalem
1. Ac 11:30 And this they did, sending it in charge of Barnabas and Saul to the elders.
2. Ac 15:2 And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. (presbuteroi)
a. 15:4, 6, 22-23
D. Shepherd every church
1. Jas 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
2. 1 Pe 5:1–5 Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, 2shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; 3nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. 4And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 5You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
A. First appointed in Acts 6
1. To help w/ daily distribution of food
B. Special qualifications
1. 1 Tim 3:8-13
IV. God’s Blueprint Needs No Improvement
A. Keep the traditions
1. 1 Co 11:2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.
2. 2 Th 2:15 stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
B. Word has everything we need
1. 2 Pe 1:3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
C. Don’t exceed it
1. 1 Cor 4:6 so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.