Pay Closer Attention – don’t neglect
Jesus is the most important thing that ever happened
Word of God Is Unalterable
The Greatness of Salvation
I. V. 2 Word Spoken Through Angels Proved Unalterable
A. Old Testament – given through angels
1. Heb 1:1–2
2. Ga 3:19 Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made.
3. New Testament given through Jesus and Holy Spirit
1. People tested the theory that the details didn’t matter
2. Le 10:1–2 Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. 2And fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord.
3. 2 Sa 6:6–7 But when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out toward the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen nearly upset it. 7And the anger of the Lord burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God.
II. God Never Changes
A. Completely faithful
1. Deu 7:9-11 Know therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments; 10 but repays those who hate Him to their faces, to destroy them; He will not delay with him who hates Him, He will repay him to his face. 11 “Therefore, you shall keep the commandment and the statutes and the judgments which I am commanding you today, to do them.
B. Keeps promises of blessings and punishment
III. New Testament Can Not Be Changed
A. Standard by which will be judged
1. John 12:48 He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.
B. Not designed to evolve
1. Jude once for all delivered to the saints
2. 1 Co 4:6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written,
3. Jud 3 I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
IV. Must Be Very Careful About Whom You Trust
A. Changing gospel makes it not the gospel
1. Ga 1:6–8 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
V. Every Transgression And Disobedience Received A Just Penalty
A. 2 Cor 11:3-4 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. 4 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.
1. 2 Cor 11:13-15 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.
B. 2 Jn 9–11 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.
VI. What Are You Willing to Endure?
A. People will call us bigots, arrogant, small-minded
1. You think you are the only ones who know the truth
a. Sometimes it seems like we’re the only ones who care
2. You think you are the only ones going to heaven
a. Not judging who goes to heaven, trying to follow Word of God
b. You can’t change Word of God
B. Worst: what will happen to people who follow a perverted gospel
1. Is that worth your salvation
2. Agree and get along or hold to God’s word?