Conversation with woman abused as child
Started taking drugs at 11
Dad always drunk, mom didn’t seem to care
Went to Catholic church w/ mom – started confirmation classes
Looking for some protection – just wanted to feel safe
I. God Cares About and Will Protect the Abused and Oppressed
A. V. 20 a battered reed and smoldering wick – vulnerable, easily destroyed
1. Jesus is gentle – caring and compassionate
2. Never wants to harm those in need
B. Is 49:25–26
1. God works on behalf of the oppressed
C. Ps 146:7
II. Ultimate Justice
A. Lk 18:7–8
1. Ro 12:19
2. Heb 10:30–31
B. Ps 9:8–9
1. Ps 58:10
C. Ec 3:17
III. Immediate Plan: His People Transforming Society
A. What about that little girl? Future punishment a comfort?
1. Is there anything more God offers her?
2. 12:10-13 – healed hand in synagogue
a. 12:22 cast out demon
3. Jesus cast out demons: Mt 8, 9, 12, 15, 17
4. Mt 8:16
B. Is 61:1–2
1. Lk 4:18
2. Jesus came to change the lives of the oppressed
C. Church is supposed to be source of help and refuge
1. Jas 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
2. Mt 25:35–36 ‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’
D. Ps 82:1–4 God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers. 2How long will you judge unjustly And show partiality to the wicked? Selah. 3Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitute. 4Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.
1. Pr 31:8–9 Open your mouth for the mute, For the rights of all the unfortunate. 9Open your mouth, judge righteously, And defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.
E. God’s people should have helped that little girl
1. Sermon comparing per person giving of different churches
2. Is 1:17 Learn to do good; Seek justice, Reprove the ruthless, Defend the orphan, Plead for the widow.
3. Influence of gospel transforms society so weakest get protection
4. Without gospel, handicapped, orphaned, poor have no value
F. 2 Ti 2:26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.