Psychologist Stephen Reiss –
Year 2,000 — Study of 6,000 people across different continents
Asking them what seemed important, motivated them
Identified 16 basic psychological needs
Excluded biological needs like survival, shelter b/c not much effect on everyday decision-making
Excluded religion/spirituality b/c desire for God weaved through every one
Pr 27:20 Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied, Nor are the eyes of man ever satisfied.
Pr 30:15–16 The leech has two daughters, “Give,” “Give.” There are three things that will not be satisfied, Four that will not say, “Enough”: 16Sheol, and the barren womb, Earth that is never satisfied with water, And fire that never says, “Enough.”
I. Things We Desire – Never-Ending Thirst
1. Wealth – the need to accumulate
2. Ec 5:10 He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity.
1. Person devoted to me, worships me
1. 1768 Captain James Cook – sauerkraut only at captain’s table for first two weeks – then men would eat it
2. Better job, bigger house, nicer car, cooler clothes
a. Control, inflict revenge,
E. Dissatisfaction lies at root of many sins
1. Adultery, substance abuse, theft, lying, gossip
2. Lazy wasting of time – binge-watching, facebook, Instagram
III. John 4 – never thirst again
A. Jn 6:32–35
B. Dissatisfaction brings us to God
1. Trying to fill God-sized hole with everything but God
2. Mt 5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
3. Lk 6:21 “Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
4. Pr 19:23 The fear of the Lord leads to life, So that one may sleep satisfied, untouched by evil.
C. Ps 63:1–6
IV. Jesus is God’s answer to the feeling of not having enough
A. Jn 6:40
1. Jn 7:37–38 Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38“He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’ ”
B. Transforms our desires – corrects our perspective
1. Mt 6:33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
2. 1 Ti 6:6 But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment.
a. 1 Ti 6:9–10
D. Sex and Romance
1. Actual love, lifetime commitment, treated better than all others
2. Compared to Christ and Church
3. 1 Jn 4:10 12
4. Your need for love has been completely filled
1. Ro 8:16–17 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
2. Mt 11:11 “Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
1. Ro 14:1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.
2. Ro 15:7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.
3. Php 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.