Graduation Day – celebrating our graduates
Series on the many ways that the gospel is good news
I. Different People Have Different Gifts
A. Mt 25:14–15 “For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. 15“To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.
1. According to his ability
2. Not everyone is the same
3. School – ones with best reading and math are better than rest
4. Athletics – those who run fastest and jump highest are best
5. Media teaches that beautiful are best
6. Business teaches that those w/ most money are best
B. Everyone has unique abilities
1. Boy who couldn’t learn to make change
2. Make things of wood that I could never make
3. Some are not gifted w/ complex academic thoughts = simple
a. Easily deceived or persuaded – naïve, lack wisdom
4. 1 Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
C. God has place for everybody – good news
1. Ro 12:3–8 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, 5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; 7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; 8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
II. Very Simple Things Anyone Can Understand
A. Everything starts with God – fear the Lord
1. Pr 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
2. Pr 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
B. Always put him first
1. Mt 6:33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
C. Love your family
1. Eph 5:33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.
2. Eph 6:1–9 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth. 4Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
3. Honor your parents
4. Love your spouse
D. Be a good worker
1. Eph 6:5–9 Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; 6not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. 7With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, 8knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free. 9And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him.
2. Diligent and honest
E. Treat others well
1. Mt 7:12 “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
2. Be careful what you say
3. Eph 4:28–32 He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need. 29Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. 30Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
a. Respect other’s property
b. Be kind
i. Avoid bitterness, wrath, anger, meanness
F. You don’t have to get good grades to do any of these things
1. Good news: gospel takes anyone, no matter their grades, and turns them into a good person who makes the world better