Comments on YouTube
Legalistic, worrying about unimportant
Wednesday night class – Saturday worship, etc.
A. Matthew 28:18-20 “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;”
1. John 12:48 He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.
B. Holy Spirit guide apostles into all truth
1. Jn 16:12-14 I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.
2. Luke 10:16 The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who rejects you rejects Me; and he who rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.
1. 2 Ti 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
D. Timeless And Universal in Application
1. 2 Pe 1:20-21 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
1. 2 Pe 1:3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
F. Truth handed down once for all
1. Jude 3-4 I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. 4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.
A. Traditions are given by God to last permanently
1. 1 Co 11:2 I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.
2. 2 Th 2:15 stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
1. Rom 6:17 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed.
2. 1 Thess 1:6-7 You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia.
3. 2 Thess 3:9 in order to offer ourselves as a model for you, so that you would follow our example.
III. What Difference Does It Make?
A. Is it really any big deal?
1. Doesn’t God just want us to focus on the big things and follow Jesus and not worry about the trivial?
2. What is trivial?
3. Who decides what is important?
4. If God wrote it, it’s important
5. If the Bible doesn’t discuss it at all, then we have discretion
B. 2 Th 2:8–12 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.
1. 2 Th 2:15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.
C. 2 Jn 9–11 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.
1. 2 Th 3:14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame.
2. 1 Corinthians 4:6 so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written,