How To Interpret the Bible
Ever have something that doesn’t work?
Car won’t start, phone battery
What if sometimes math didn’t work
Balance checkbook, doesn’t match
Keep looking until you find mistake
Sometimes bank is wrong
Math always works
What if gravity sometimes had a glitch?
Things fly off the ground for no reason
Car won’t stick to the road
The Bible is like math and gravity – always works
What effect should it have on our lives?
A. Word is absolutely trustworthy
1. 2 Pe 1:19–21 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. 20But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 21for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
2. 2 Ti 3:16–17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
B. Nothing can not create something
1. Inorganic cannot create organic
2. Chaos cannot create order
3. Unintelligence cannot create intelligence
C. Only explanation is powerful, intelligent being
1. Created the systems at work in universe
2. Everything obeys his logic
3. Created man w/ intelligence to ask “why?”
4. Gave us answers through written word
B. God’s word is perfect
1. Pr 30:5 Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.
2. Jn 17:17 “Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
C. Implications of omnipotence
1. If word inaccurate, not powerful enough
2. Ps 147:4–5 He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to all of them. 5Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite.
D. Implication of omniscience
1. If God knows everything, and he’s all-powerful his Word must have no mistakes
2. Heb 4:13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
3. 1 Jn 3:20 in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.
II. Must Handle With Care
A. Ac 20:27 “For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God.
1. 2 Ti 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
2. Word can be handled inaccurately
3. Purpose of God can be declared only in part
B. Must read all relevant passages together
1. One passage may limit another passage
III. Limits of Logical Implications
A. Ex 20:13 “You shall not murder.
1. Therefore, no capital punishment
2. Nu 35:19 ‘The blood avenger himself shall put the murderer to death; he shall put him to death when he meets him.
3. Nu 35:15–16 ‘These six cities shall be for refuge for the sons of Israel, and for the alien and for the sojourner among them; that anyone who kills a person unintentionally may flee there. 16‘But if he struck him down with an iron object, so that he died, he is a murderer; the murderer shall surely be put to death.
B. Ro 10:8–13 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
1. All you have to do is call on God
a. Call means speak, so that’s all it requires
2. Lady who said she had pain for few days
a. Same document said her pain is permanent
b. Can’t be used to say she said it was only for few days
C. Ro 6:3–5
1. Ro 3:24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
2. Ro 3:30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one.
3. Ro 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
4. Ro 5:9 having now been justified by His blood,
5. Jas 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
6. Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
7. 1 Pe 3:21
D. Man sees ship crashed into reef offshore