1 John 1:5-10
Christmas lights – waiting for son from war
Tom Sawyer in cave leaving thread to go to light
I. God Is Light
A. 1 Ti 6:16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.
1. Jas 1:17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
B. Absolute nature of God
1. Not a light, or even the light as the light of men or the light of the world
2. Simply and absolutely, God is light – very nature
3. Not a metaphor – God is spirit, God is love
C. Condition of life
1. Physically = glory
2. Intellectually = truth
3. Morally = holiness
D. Uses correspond to God’s nature
1. Immaterial = God is spirit – Jn 4:24
2. Diffusive = God is love – 1 Jn 4:8
3. Condition of life = God is eternal life
a. Jn 17:3 “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
4. Pure and illuminating = Holiness and Truth
a. Eph 4:24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
II. What Does Walking in the Light Mean?
A. Practice the truth v. 6
1. The truth is not in us v. 8
2. Keeping his commandments
3. 1 Jn 2:4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
B. Admitting our sin
1. V. 8 say we have no sin
2. V. 9 confess our sins
3. V. 10 say we have not sinned
C. Following Jesus – adopting his attitudes/habits
1. Jn 8:12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
D. Loving your brothers
1. 1 Jn 2:11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
2. 1 Jn 4:20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
1 John 1:5-10
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.