Ephesians 4:28 He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.
Blind Side – two boys playing basketball
Couldn’t believe they’d just leave balls outside
Locks on door? fence around yard? dog?
gun? security system? lock/alarm on car, chip to find it security code on phone? log-in user name and password? debit card? photo ID and/or security code. security detectors and tags, cameras, and security guard.
Jesus was stolen from by Judas.
To Rich Young Ruler
Mk 10:19 “You know the commandments, ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’ ”
I. God loves your neighbor
A. Not just you. Loves you. Also loves neighbor.
1. Wants you to love them too
B. Mt 22:37-39 YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38 “This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 “The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’
1. Love for your neighbor should inform every interaction w/ people
2. Affects how you see property of others
II. God values work
A. Eph 4:28 He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.
1. 2 Th 3:10–12
B. Provisions from God are blessing
1. 1 Ti 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
III. God Has Always Commanded Respect for Property
A. Ex 20:15 you shall not steal
B. Ex 22:1-5 if you steal, pay back 5x
1. Ex 22:1–5
IV. Ways We Steal
A. You don’t steal right? Don’t need this sermon?
1. 2017 – 300 billion visits to piracy websites
2. 106.9 billion streaming stolen TV content
B. Jas 5:4-5
1. not pilfering – 8th commandment
2. Employee Theft – avg. employee steals 5.5 times more than avg shoplifter.
a. $200 billion a year through employee theft
b. Avg. employee wastes over two hours a day.
i. 54% internet – 23% socializing
c. Everybody’s doing it, can’t be wrong
3. Cost to companies estimated $759 billion
V. Stealing happens when wealth becomes God.
A. 1 Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
1. Mt 6:24 No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
B. Tithe v. tax = voluntary v. compulsory
1. Money is not ours – if give child money to buy concession for all 3 – not hers, mine
C. Christian Smith – Passing the Plate – biggest study on charitable giving in history of US.
1. 25% of professing Christians give 0
2. Avg. church-goer give 6% after tax income
3. Median is $200/yr – .5% after tax income
4. 5% of Christians give 60% of all donations
5. Mt 6:12 Forgive us our debts – all sin is stealing from God.
D. Jesus crucified between two what?
Adapted from Marc Driscoll