Bird feeding hatchlings on porch
I. Women Can Teach the Word
A. Timothy mentioned in several books:
1. Romans, 1 Corinthians (sent), Hebrews (released)
B. Timothy listed as co-author:
1. 2 Corinthians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thess., Philemon
C. V. 14 continue in the things you have learned … knowing from whom you learned them
1. From whom did Timothy learn the Word?
2. 2 Ti 3:10 Now you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance,
3. 2 Ti 1:2–6 To Timothy, my beloved son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3I thank God, whom I serve with a clear conscience the way my forefathers did, as I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day, 4longing to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that I may be filled with joy. 5For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. 6For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
D. V. 15 from childhood
1. 2 Tim 1:5 grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice
2. Helps to have a grandmother too
E. Sometimes, A Woman Must Do It Alone
1. Ac 16:1–3 Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. And a disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek, 2and he was well spoken of by the brethren who were in Lystra and Iconium. 3Paul wanted this man to go with him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those parts, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.
II. Remembering a Godly Mother Motivates Faithfulness
A. Pr 1:7–9 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. 8Hear, my son, your father’s instruction And do not forsake your mother’s teaching; 9Indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head And ornaments about your neck.
1. Pr 6:20–22 My son, observe the commandment of your father And do not forsake the teaching of your mother; 21Bind them continually on your heart; Tie them around your neck. 22When you walk about, they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you; And when you awake, they will talk to you.
2. Families are God’s idea of how to make children healthy/successful
3. Family is God’s basic school for teaching children how to live in world
4. Both fathers and mothers share responsibility in instruction
5. God calls sons and daughters to submit to mothers and fathers
6. Following God’s plan brings reward
B. Mothers should teach children to fear the Lord
1. Prov 1:7
2. Pr 31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
3. What does God say? How does God feel about that?
C. Making your mother happy and proud
1. Pr 23:25 Let your father and your mother be glad, And let her rejoice who gave birth to you.