Telemarketer calling saying I owed IRS money
Asked if they knew they were lying
Barna – Lying is morally wrong – strongly agree
Gen X 50%
Gen Z 34%
66% “not necessarily”
Series on Morality
Flows from nature and purpose of God
Sanctity of Life
Now: do not defraud, do not bear false witness
Mk 10:19 “You know the commandments, ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’ ”
I. False Witness – Justice
A. 7 “Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent or the righteous, for I will not acquit the guilty.
1. Pr 14:25 A truthful witness saves lives, But he who utters lies is treacherous.
2. Employers press employees to refuse to tell what they saw
3. Falsified records, lost records, etc.
4. Truck driver who said he saw ice but told me he would not say so under oath
B. Broader than just court testimony
1. Le 19:11 ‘You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.
2. Two sets of scales/weights – Lev 19, De 25
C. Truth is foundation of justice
1. Lying Is Danger
a. Hidden facts, hidden motives, duplicity, double-cross, darkness, lying in wait
b. Jn 8:44
II. Power of Truth
A. You can’t have true life w/out truth
1. Jn 1:4–5 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
2. Jn 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
B. “I am” – reality, not perception
1. Ex 3:14–15
C. Lying is choosing darkness against God
1. Employee who lied about recording another
2. Jn 3:19–20
3. Jn 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
4. Ephesians 5:8-11
A. Ps 15:1–2 O Lord, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on Your holy hill? 2He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart.
1. Govt official who lied about seller backing out of deal
B. All kinds of reasons: avoid trouble, status
1. Trade The Important for the Immediate
C. One, whole, entire, integer, integrate
1. Closeness to God requires honesty
2. Psalms 51:6 Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
3. Psalms 101:7 He who practices deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who speaks falsehood shall not maintain his position before me.
D. Part of love for neighbor
1. 1 Corinthians 13:6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
Ephesians 4:25, 29