Keys to Living The Good Life
How do we live this life?
I. Satan’s Tricks
A. 10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they amay have life, and 1have it abundantly.
B. He steals
1. Kleptais – kleptomania
2. Girl who called me and invited me to a party b/c she wanted to hurt girl I was dating
3. Steals time, interest, love
1. Kills slowly, a little at a time
2. Like a fire being smothered,
a. Flame continues, smolders, smokes, warmth, then cold
b. Same happens to faith, commitment, joy
1. Jn 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
E. Jesus came to give life in abundance
II. Trust Only the Shepherd
A. He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
1. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.
B. Hired hand
1. People offer help to enrich themselves
2. Only committed to extent it helps them
3. Teachers who seem good, but don’t last during difficulties
4. Careful who you trust – who you follow
III. Listen to the Good Shepherd
A. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
B. Does Jesus know you?
1. He 4:13 there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
2. Are you comfortable with that?
3. Met famous people – Pete Rose, Bob Corker
a. Wouldn’t know my voice on phone
4. Would Jesus recognize yours?
C. 14 my own know me
1. Do you know him? Do you know his voice?
2. Sha’ariam – shepherd w/ flock came right through trees
3. Does Jesus guide and guard you?
4. Col 2:2-4
D. Do you listen frequently, persistently?
1. Prov 8:7-10
2. 1 Jn 2:3-6