I. Recognized the Grace of His Father
A. May have chafed under father’s rules
1. Being told when to eat, when to rise, where to work
2. Limited associations w/ people he liked
3. Wanted to party, his idea of a good time
B. Father Gave Him His Share
C. God gives you freedom of choice
1. Do you know better what to do than he?
D. How will you use the father’s goods?
1. V. 13 squandered his estate
2. Son didn’t earn share – solely by grace
a. Freedom to squander
1. Ga 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
2. Ga 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
3. Ga 5:16–18 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
II. Realized Importance of Loved Ones
A. V. 13 foreign country
1. Why does he have to get away from home?
2. Eph 6:1–3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), 3 so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth.
B. Selfishness and arrogance
1. What I want is most important
2. I know better than everyone else
3. People create reasons in their mind to be offended b/c they want to avoid people call them to greater faithfulness
4. James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
1. Pr 8:13 “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.
2. Pr 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.
3. Ro 12:3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.
III. Understood that Sin Always Creates Misery
A. Lk 15:15–16 “So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16“And he would have gladly filled his stomach with the pods that the swine were eating, and no one was giving anything to him.
B. Reap what you sow
1. Pr 14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
2. Ga 6:7–8 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. 8For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
3. Mk 9:43 “If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,
a. Same for foot and eye
b. Mk 9:48 where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.
C. Some people never come back
1. Mt 27:3–5