Morality Series – from nature and purpose of God
I. Sanctity of Life
A. Inherent sense of horror
1. Aug ’18 – Christopher Watts strangles pregnant wife and 2 daughters in Colorado
a. Buried wife in oil field
b. Stuffed daughters into oil drums
c. Gave interviews and lied during search
d. Wanted fresh start w/ girlfriend
e. Later claimed wife strangled daughters and he killed her in rage
2. Ex. 1:22 every Israelite son to be thrown into Nile
3. Mt 2:16
B. Assault – idea that human life is sacred
1. Podcast- collage of caller messages with ideas of beliefs that should be discarded
C. Different from animals
1. Ge 9:3–6 “Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4“Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. 5“Surely I will require your lifeblood; from every beast I will require it. And from every man, from every man’s brother I will require the life of man. 6“Whoever sheds man’s blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.
2. Not about how you feel about animal/person
3. Obscene to value animal over person
4. Flows from nature of God – image imprinted
II. Abortion and Euthanasia
1. Shout Your Abortion – campaign to encourage women who have had abortions to present them in a positive light
2. Video of woman meeting w/ elementary age children talking about benefits of her abortion
3. Ex 21:22–25
B. Murder pollutes the land – affects others
1. Nu 35:33
C. Everyone chooses: follow Jesus or follow culture of my day, my self, etc.
D. Death is enemy
1. 1 Co 15:26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.
2. Dt 30:19–20
III. What About Killings in Bible?
A. Used to disprove existence of God
1. Sense of right and wrong proves God
B. Competing interests – when moral principles collide
1. Morality flows from God’s nature
a. Has many characteristics, like ours
b. He decides
C. Not all killing is wrong
1. Nu 35:15–25
D. After life – earthly death is not end of existence
1. Earthly death not the worst thing that can happen
a. Can be doorway to something better
IV. Murder in the New Testament
A. 1 Jn 3:15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
B. Mt 5:21–22 “You have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not commit murder’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ 22“But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
C. Lk 23:18–19 But they cried out all together, saying, “Away with this man, and release for us Barabbas!” 19(He was one who had been thrown into prison for an insurrection made in the city, and for murder.)
D. Lk 23:25 And he released the man they were asking for who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, but he delivered Jesus to their will.