The Woman Who Switched Sides
Turning Bad Into Good
I. Rahab – surrounded by Evil People
A. Never had a chance
1. Parents were Cannanites
a. No morality, concern for right and wrong
b. Entire culture based on power and wealth
c. Rampant sexual immorality, violence
2. Absorbed culture and religion of those around them
a. Wanted to be like everyone else
B. Jos 2:15 Then she let them down by a rope through the window, for her house was on the city wall, so that she was living on the wall.
1. House in wall – between two walls
a. Almost certainly less desirable part of town
II. You Don’t Have to Know Much
A. 10 “For we have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed.
1. 11 “When we heard it, our hearts melted and no courage remained in any man any longer because of you; for the Lord your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath.
B. What do you have to know?
1. God is God
a. Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
2. Jesus is the savior
a. 1 Co 15:3–4
C. Draw the conclusion – surrender to God
1. Ro 10:9–13
III. Your Past Doesn’t Define Your Future
A. Jos 2:1
1. Jam 2, Heb 11 call her “Rahab the harlot”
B. Rahab became a prostitute
1. Even w/ immoral sexual attitudes, people didn’t want daughters to be prostitutes
C. She switched sides
1. 12 “Now therefore, please swear to me by the Lord, since I have dealt kindly with you, that you also will deal kindly with my father’s household, and give me a pledge of truth,
D. Became part of the chosen people of God
1. Ac 10:34–35
IV. You Can Save A Lot of People
A. 13 and spare my father and my mother and my brothers and my sisters, with all who belong to them, and deliver our lives from death.”
1. Saved her whole family
a. She was focused on other people
b. Quality of character
2. Jos 6:25
B. Mt 1:5 Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, and Obed the father of Jesse.
1. David’s great-great grandmother
2. 28 more generations to Jesus (Mt 1:17)
V. God Uses Small People to Do Great Things
A. All he wants is faith
1. Heb 11:31 By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace.