Like and subscribe to see all our latest content! Turn on post notifications to be updated every time we upload!
I. Some Think Why Is This Happening?
A. See no connection between present and past
1. Think choices now have no effect on future
2. “I should’ve seen it coming!”
3. “They should’ve seen it coming!”
B. Wise man knows the weather will change
1. Fool thinks weather will always be sunny
2. Wise man builds for all weather
3. Fool builds never thinking about rain
4. When house crashes, fool thinks, “why am I so unlucky?”
5. Pr 4:18–19 But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day. 19The way of the wicked is like darkness; They do not know over what they stumble.
C. Direction determines destination
1. Employment, career, finances
3. Spiritual life
II. Jesus Doesn’t Offer a Quick Fix
A. Wisdom is a path – direction
1. Pr 4:11–14 I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths. 12When you walk, your steps will not be impeded; And if you run, you will not stumble. 13Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life. 14Do not enter the path of the wicked And do not proceed in the way of evil men.
B. He offers a new direction
1. Mt 7:13–14 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
C. Jesus invited people to follow him
1. Mt 9:9 As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collector’s booth; and He said to him, “Follow Me!” And he got up and followed Him.
2. Lk 9:59–62 And He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” 60But He said to him, “Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God.” 61Another also said, “I will follow You, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home.” 62But Jesus said to him, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
III. Jesus Is the Direction
A. Jn 14:5–6 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
1. 6 times in Actƒs Christianity called “the Way”
a. Ac 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22
B. Matthew 10:24–25 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 “It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master.
IV. What Does Following Jesus Mean?
A. Spiritual is most important
1. Denial of temporary selfish wants
2. Mt 16:24–27 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27“For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.
B. Putting God and his people first
1. 1 Jn 3:15–18 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 16We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
C. Keep his word
1. Jn 14:15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
2. Jn 14:21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”
3. Jn 14:23–24 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.