1 For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it.
2 For if the word spoken through angels proved unalterable, and every transgression and disobedience received a just penalty,
3 how will we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was at the first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard,
4 God also testifying with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will.
I. It’s Claims Have Been Proven
A. V. 3 Spoken through the Lord
1. Heb 1:2–3 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
B. V. 3 confirmed by those who heard – eyewitnesses
1. V. 4 God also testifying with them – verified by miracles
2. 1 Co 15:3–6 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
II. Everyone Is Eligible
A. Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
1. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
2. 1 Tim 2:3–4 God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
B. It’s been prepaid
1. Ro 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
C. Saves the Worst Sinners
1. Paul of Tarsus – chief of sinners
a. 1 Ti 1:15–16 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. 16Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
2. Jeffrey Dahmer
a. Roy Ratliff – Dark Journey Deep Grace – baptized 1994
III. Changes Lives on Earth
A. Transforms bad people into good people
1. 1 Co 15:9–10 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.
B. Gives human life purpose and meaning
1. Opportunity to do good with eternal consequences
2. 2 Co 5:17–20 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 18Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, 19namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 20Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
IV. It’s Eternal
A. NT – “eternal life” or “life eternal” 43 times NASB
1. OT – zero
2. Faint echoes in Psalms, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea
3. Long explanations in Mt 25, Lk 16, 1 Cor 15, 1 Th 4, 2 Th 1
B. It Was Planned Before the World Was Created
1. Mt 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
2. Eph 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
3. Heb 4:3 His works were finished from the foundation of the world.
C. 1 Jn 5:11–13 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. 13These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
D. The Best Is Yet To Come
1. Presence before the full glory of God
2. Reunion with dead