What’s The Big Deal About Jesus?
Most of western civilization celebrates Christmas
Origins in celebrating birth of Christ
Probably not actually born in December
Bible doesn’t tell us when born
But birth of Jesus worth celebrating
More and more people don’t know why
Why is he worthy of worship and celebration?
What’s the big deal?
Today, focus on purpose of Jesus
Jesus made several statements saying why he came
I. Complete a Master Plan
A. Mt 5:17–18 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18“For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
B. Plan conceived before foundation of world
1. Culmination of redemption begun in Eden
2. Covenant with Abraham around 2,000 BC
3. Moses in Egypt around 1,400 BC
4. David around 1,000 BC
C. Consummation of the ages
1. Heb 9:26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
II. Proclaim the Kingdom of God
A. Mk 1:38 Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may preach there also; for that is what I came for.”
B. Create new kingdom
1. Lk 8:1 Soon afterwards, He began going around from one city and village to another, proclaiming and preaching the kingdom of God.
a. Also Mt 4:23, 9:1, etc.
2. Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
3. Mt 6:33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
A. Jn 9:39 For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind.”
1. So that people would realize the danger of eternal condemnation
2. Personal illustration of importance of situation
B. Jn 3:17–19 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18“He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.
1. Judgment already decided
2. Jesus came to make people realize need for redemption
3. This is the judgment: do you love God and respond to him when he comes to your world?
A. Jn 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
1. Resurrection, eternal life, heaven, presence of God
2. Also the highest and best life on earth
B. Jn 5:24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
V. Complete Father’s Plan of Salvation
A. Jn 6:38 “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
B. Mk 10:45 “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
2. Ransom – buying people out of slavery to sin