Has God’s Plan of Salvation Changed?
Restoring New Testament Christianity
Reformation: Bible Is the Ultimate Authority
Restoration: Bible contains everything we need
Should not add anything to it – no evolution
Church Organization – elders, deacons, evangelists
Reformation: saved by grace
How is a person justified = made righteous?
Has God’s Plan of Salvation changed since N.T. closed?
How does person take advantage of Christ’s sacrifice?
I. Centrality of Faith
A. Ro. 3: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. . . 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
B. Faith brings conforming behavior
1. Ro 4:3–5 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 4Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,
2. Ro 4:16 For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace,
3. Ro 4:19–22 Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah’s womb; 20yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, 21and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. 22Therefore it was also credited to him as righteousness.
4. Ro 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
C. Faith in Word of God
1. Ro 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
a. 10:14 How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard?
D. Faith must be confessed externally
1. Ro. 10:9-10 if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
E. Faith causes repentance
1. Ro 2:4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?
F. Faith culminates in union w/ Christ in baptism
1. Ro. 6:3-6
a. When do we get “into” Chirst?
b. When are we buried w/ him?
c. Walk in newness of life?
d. Become united w/ him?
e. Old self crucified w/ him?
f. Body of sin done away?
g. When are we freed from sin?
II. Examples of People Receiving Salvation
A. Pentecost – Ac 2:37-38, 41
B. Samaria – Ac 8:12-13
C. Ethiopian Eunuch – Ac 8:35-38
D. Paul – Ac 9:18
1. Ac 22:16
E. Cornelius – Ac 10:47-18
F. Lydia – Ac 16:14-15
G. Philippian Jailer – Ac 16:31-33
H. Crispus and Corinthians – Ac 18:8
I. Baptized w/ John’s baptism – Ac 19:3-5
3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin.