1 Peter 4:12–19
2 Ti 3:12 Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
Same for Jesus – Heb 2:10
Last Supper – Lk 22:28 “You are those who have stood by Me in My trials;
I. Require Facing an Opponent – Test Allegations
A. We have an adversary
1. 1 Pe 5:8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
2. 1 Th 3:5 For this reason, when I could endure it no longer, I also sent to find out about your faith, for fear that the tempter might have tempted you, and our labor would be in vain.
3. Re 12:10
B. Adversarial system
1. 1 Co 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
2. 2 Pe 2:9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment,
II. Prove What Is True – Test the Evidence
A. Cross-examination – stand up to scrutiny
1. 1 Pe 1:6–7
B. doctor – mistake in notes
1. Examined about honesty for hours
C. You claim to follow Jesus
1. Commitment to God is more important than anything else
2. Willing to sacrifice anything in life to follow the Word of God
3. Heb 11:37–40
a. What does God want? What is he trying to prove? FAITH!
D. Trials are designed to prove who you are
1. 2 Co 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?
2. 1 Co 3:11–13
III. Require Preparation
A. Trials must be prepared for
1. Practice, study, planning
2. Trials prepare us for greater things
3. Heb 2:10 For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings.
B. Victorious trials lead to glory
1. 2 Co 4:16–18
a. 2 Co 5:1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
b. 2 Co 5:5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.
c. 2 Co 5:7 for we walk by faith, not by sight—
IV. Build Endurance
A. Trials are designed to change who you are
1. Change what you can do
2. Eph 5:10 trying to learn [dokimazo] what is pleasing to the Lord.
B. Preparation for trial takes a lot of time
1. Sacrifice of time, energy, other interests
C. Trials take a lot of time
1. Exhausting, mental, physically, emotionally
2. Many lawyers have not gone to trial in years
D. Teach Perseverance
1. The more you do it, the more you’re able to do it
a. Professional athletes take time to adjust to schedule when become pros
i. Football – 16 games, NBA, Pitchers, Boxers
2. More experienced outlast inexperienced
3. Heb 12:7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
a. Heb 12:11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
E. Lk 8:13 “Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.
F. Re 2:10 ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
V. Trials Have Winners and Losers
A. Jas 5:11 We count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord’s dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful.
B. Heb 10:38–39
C. Mt 10:22
D. Jas 1:12
E. Re 2:10 ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
VI. You Don’t Have to Go Through Trial Alone
A. Pro se parties always lose
B. 1 Jn 2:1–2 And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
Heb 13:5–6 for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,” 6so that we confidently say, “The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?”