17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.
19 “You know the commandments, ‘DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.’ ”
20 And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up.”
21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.
New Year, New Opportunities
University of Michigan asked to apply to law school
Pepperdine offered scholarship plus money
Decision not to play football in H.S.
Decisions you regret?
Areas where you would like a do-over?
Relationships/conversations/attitudes w/ family
Education decisions – effort, priorities?
Do you feel good about your relationship w/ God?
About your service in the Kingdom of Christ?
Would you like a do-over in your commitment?
Rich Young Ruler – what if he could go back
20 years later, did he regret that decision?
Does he today?
I. Come Follow Me
A. V. 22 owned much property
1. Mt 19:22 “young man”
2. Lk 18:18 “ruler”
B. 17 what shall I do to inherit eternal life
1. He wants salvation – heaven
2. Wants to be part of Jesus’ ministry – associate with him
C. 19 keep the commandments
1. 20 done that since I was a child
2. Knows that Jesus is teaching something different – wants to be part of it
D. 21 sell all you possess and give to poor
1. Come, follow me
2. Make a value judgment – everything you have, every plan in your life vs. heaven
a. Which is better to you?
E. 21 Jesus felt a love for him
1. Not trying to reveal hypocrisy, make it hard on him, embarrass him
2. Wanted him to follow – have a great life
3. Experience true purpose, meaning, fulfillment
F. 22 saddened, went away grieving
1. Owned much property
G. Same call as the apostles
1. If Jesus asked you to be an apostle, what would you say?
A. Mk 12:28–31
1. Jn 14:15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
2. Jn 15:10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
C. Motivates worship and service
1. Mt 6:24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
D. John 6:66–69
E. 2 Corinthians 5:17
III. If We All Said Yes and Followed, What Would It Look Like?
A. Better worship
1. More regular attendance
2. Louder singing
3. Fervent prayers
B. Greater encouragement
1. Participation in outreach efforts
2. Service in ministries and programs
3. Bible classes
C. Stronger relationships
1. More meals w/ Christians
2. More phone calls to those who are missing
3. Greater involvement in each others’ lives
4. More family, friends coming as guests